It’s time for another episode of Presence, a podcast about virtual reality, the ones creating it, and the people immersed in it! We’re still in the heat of a new VR launch with the HTC Vive, so strap yourself in for a passionate discussion on all things room-scale tracking and how the Vive is matching up against the Oculus Rift.
Jason Evangelho and Joe Knoop are joined by friend and Moor Insights & Strategy analyst Anshel Sag, who offers his professional take on the state of the industry post-launch, and clues us in to some unique insights — and criticisms — regarding Oculus.
Refresh Rate (the newsy stuff)
- How VR is looking to reawaken the joy of arcades by Blake Harris
- Facebook talks about its plan for the future of VR, including some sick shades
- A new study shows us the potential rise of mobile VR headsets over traditional tethered models like Oculus and Vive. Do you like big numbers? We’ve got ‘em.
Field of View (the roundtable discussion)
- The HTC Vive is out and putting up quite the fight. Does it have the technical and marketing chops to beat the competititon?
- HTC Vive “Mixed Reality” commercial brings the concept of VR to your living room
- Does Oculus’ shipping woes hurt its chances to dominate VR? The guys talk their own difficulties, compare it to the Vive, and sweat over the looming three-way battle.
Listener Questions (powered by you! Email email@example.com)
- “Any disorientation after playing for extended periods?” (Joe H)
- “OK, so Jason’s been showing off a massive room to set up the Vive. I have about a 12×20 room in the apartment that if I can clear it up, might work. But I most certainly won’t have that kind of space when we move to Japan. (Largest room is maybe 10×10.) So… how can the Vive be best set up in smaller environments?” (@XDAGarwynn)
- “What are some potential titles you’d love to see make the leap to VR?” (Nik D)
EXTRA SPECIAL thanks: Kubbi for allowing us to use his music. Go check it out!
And remember to follow Jason and Joe on Twitter at @killyourFM and @JosephKnoop. Check out a new episode of Presence every Thursday, and submit your listener questions to Presence@UploadVR.com. Also check out our sister show, the UploadVR Gamescast!
A bit of housekeeping to close out the show: We’re working on letting you guys subscribe in iTunes and elsewhere for Presence and Gamecast, and are targeting that within the next few days. Stay tuned and thanks for listening!