Bethesda may have another Elder Scrolls VR game on the way, but it’s not done with its VR port of Skyrim, either.
Seven months on from release, the PSVR version of Skyrim is getting another update with some significant upgrades. For starters, Bethesda says patch 220.127.116.11.8 will improve the visual fidelity of the game, especially on PS4 Pro. There’s also a new ‘main menu experience’ which to us sounds like a retool of what was originally the base game’s menu on a virtual screen. We’ll need to go hands-on with the patch ourselves to tell, though.
Elsewhere, the game now has an increased height offset slider. More notably, though, there’s a lot of changes for the game’s PlayStation Move motion controller configuration. You’ll be able to move backwards using one of the controller’s X buttons when using direct movement and you can even swim realistically when in water. Our favorite update, though, is ‘Show Hands When Sheathed’, which should replace the models of the Move controllers you see when you don’t have weapons out.
Finally, there’s a new ‘Realistic Bow Aiming’ option, tweaks to map markers and a number of bugfixes. We don’t know if this patch is also coming to the PC VR version of Skyrim just yet, but some of these additions would definitely be appreciated there too.
Full patch notes:
- Added a new main menu experience
- Globally improved visual fidelity, particularly on PS4 Pro
- Increased the maximum value for the height offset slider
- Various bugfixes
- Changes when using PS Move controllers:
- In direct movement, changed the secondary X button to move the player backwards.
- Added a new option, enabled by default, to “Show Hands When Sheathed”
- Sheath/unsheath has been moved to hold secondary O.
- Adjusted angle for spell targeting to be more comfortable
- The existing swimming has been moved to a new option for “Realistic Swimming”. Swimming by default now uses Direct Movement style controls
- Added option for HMD-relative direct movement instead of controller-relative direct movement.
- Added a new option for “Realistic Bow Aiming” which uses both PS Move controllers to aim
- Players can now point at map markers and get information on them in local map mode