If you’re a VR or AR content creator that developed experiences for either the Oculus Rift DK1 or DK2, then you could potentially win up to $10,000 for remastering your content for the CV1 in this new contest from WEARVR. The deadline for entries is May 1st, 2018, at 12:00PM BST.
Back before the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive officially launched almost two years ago, the Oculus Rift had a series of developer kits that content creators used to make some of the world’s first true consumer-facing VR applications. The DK1 and DK2 were the predecessors to Oculus’ CV1 and early adopters of the technology were treated to some absolutely groundbreaking and imaginative creations for the time.
A lot of those experiences have been lost to the evolution of the internet though. The fact of the matter is that a lot of these apps aren’t even compatible with the CV1 and then after Oculus shut down the Oculus Share website that was used to house all of those creations it was unclear what would happen to many of them.
Lots of apps have since been polished, expanded, and released as full games and experiences, but many of them have also been forgotten. Now thanks to WEARVR, there could be a resurgence on the horizon.
The contest rules are as follows:
- The original content must have been made available for the Oculus DK1 and/or DK2,
- Your Remastered Competition entry must work on the Oculus Rift CV1,
- Your entry can also be remastered for the HTC Vive or other contemporary VR platforms as well, but must include the CV1,
- The entry must include some manner of enhancement over the original (visuals, audio, controls, content, etc) that makes it contemporary with new releases on the Oculus platform,
- Finally, read over the Terms and Conditions for additional details.
WEARVR will select the four best remasters as the winners and split the $10,000 between them. If you’re interested in submitting a piece of remastered content, just fill out the form on this site and register for a WEARVR developer account.
What are some of your favorite pieces of DK1 and DK2 content that you’d love to see remastered for CV1? Let us know down in the comments below!